0
20 operators dismantle ‘sexy’ billboards
By Marlon Ramos
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 16:58:00 06/08/2009

MANILA, Philippines— Following warnings from the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), 20 operators of outdoor signages featuring "indecent" images have voluntarily dismantled their billboards in the metropolis.

In a statement Monday, DPWH assistant regional director for Metro Manila Armando Estrella said the operators of outdoor advertisements apparently "realized that many people were against indecent and immoral billboards."

"They were conscience-stricken," Estrella said.

"They fear the backlash in public opinion will affect the products they were endorsing," he added.

Since DPWH Secretary Hermogenes Ebdane Jr. ordered a crackdown on illegal, unsafe and "sexy" billboards last week, Estrella said his office has been receiving complaints from concerned individuals, including parents.

Some even called for a boycott of products which employed suggestive images on its outdoor displays, he said.

As of Monday, Estrella said 37 outdoor ads with images of models and celebrities in skimpy outfits were already taken down either voluntarily by its operators or by members of DPWH's Oplan Baklas Billboards.

In an earlier interview, Public Works Undersecretary Rafael Yabut said most of "sexy" billboards in the metropolis violated certain provisions of the National Building Code of the Philippines.


Post a Comment

 
Top