MANILA, Philippines—Around 20 operator of outdoor advertisements in Metro Manila have started dismantling billboards featuring “indecent” images, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said Monday.
Since last week, 37 billboards showing models and celebrities in skimpy outfits have either been taken down voluntarily by billboard operators or by members of the DPWH’s Oplan Baklas Billboards, according to DPWH Assistant Director for Metro Manila Armando Estrella.
Among those dismantled were two billboards showing the half-naked body of actor Piolo Pascual endorsing a coffee product in Quezon City.
Also taken down were the display ads for a clothing company featuring a Caucasian model in a tight-fitting leather top.
Estrella said in a statement that the operators of outdoor signages volunteered to take down the huge ads after “they realized that many people were against indecent and immoral billboards.”
“They were conscience-stricken,” he said, adding, “They fear the backlash in public opinion will affect the products they are endorsing.”
Estrella said his office has been receiving complaints from concerned parents and other individuals after Public Works Secretary Hermogenes Ebdane Jr. ordered a crackdown on illegal, unsafe and “sexy” billboards in the metropolis last week.